Insecten als innovatieve veevoerconcepten
[UK] Insects can play an important role in converting residual waste streams into high-quality raw materials in a circular economy. However, there are still many research questions to take advantage of opportunities for animal feed and human nutrition and to overcome legal barriers to market the insect products. In this project knowledge is generated about: functional properties of insect nutrients for animal feed and safety issues of insects for human nutrition. This project will result in innovative concepts with insect products in animal feed and input for risk assessments related to human nutrition. Insect breeders can use the knowledge developed to supply their products to a new market, to inform (new) customers and to comply with the legislative issues. Compound feed companies will use these results to produce a suitable new feed concept and to advise their customers (livestock farmers) on this. Researchers can use the developed scientific knowledge to develop new technologies and develop analyses methods in the field of safety and functional properties.
Insects can play an important role in converting residual waste streams into high-quality raw materials in a circular economy. Insects can convert organic waste streams into high-quality insect products that can be used as raw material in animal feed and as human food. Insects are known to have a good nutritional value due to their composition of amino acids and fatty acids. The insect industry is however, still under development and there are still many research questions to identify opportunities for animal feed and human nutrition and overcome legal barriers to market the insect products. Various insect nutrients such as chitin, chitosan, dipeptides, and lauric acid are expected to positive affect human and animal health. These nutrients can be unlocked by means of biorefinery. This knowledge can lead to new possibilities to replace non-sustainable raw materials with adding sustainable proteins and oils, and health-promoting nutrients to products. The market application of new insects (nutrients) requires legal authorization for the marketing of processed insects in animal feed, and a risk assessment for applications in food. That's why knowledge is needed about the safety of insects (possible toxic effects, in addition to PPP “Assurance of the insect safety ”TKI-AF-15220) in animal feed and human food. In this project innovative concepts with insect products will be developed for animal feed. The project has the following objectives:
• Development and availability of innovative animal feed concepts with insect products with respect to functional properties.
• Determination of the functional properties of different insect nutrients.
The new animal feed concepts developed in this project will be used in the future to
adding functional properties to animal feed by use of insect products. Insects are the missing link in a circular agri-food chain as insects are very efficient converters of organic waste streams into high quality food and feed ingredients. Both compound feed companies, livestock farmers,
production companies in the meat and dairy chain as consumers need knowledge about the insect product before use and consumption of this novel protein source.
• Insect food ingredients: In vitro toxicological characterisation. – Confidential report
• Desk study on functional properties (digestion, immunomodulation, antibiotic reduction) of chitin, chitosan, antimicrobial peptides, fatty acids and anti-oxidant capacity) in monogastric animals. – Research report
• In vitro study of the immune modulation of chitin, chitosan, (di) peptides and fatty acids. - Research report
• In vivo study with broilers with the most promising ingredients from in vitro study. - Research report
• Registration of a feed concept / nutrient in the Feed Catalogue. - Product: Registered feed concept /nutrient in the Feed Catalogue